Preventing online harm
As youth online usage increases, what can we do to curb social media abuse and misuse? Find out from experts at this series about online safety and digital wellness for youth.
At this first session, hear from educator and advocate Carol Todd, whose daughter Amanda took her own life after enduring sextortion and harassment, and Dr. Sameer Hinduja, a renowned expert on teen social media use. This webinar covers cyberbullying, sexting, sextortion, and other online threats. Viewers learn practical strategies for identification, prevention, and response — and how to promote positive interactions and healthier participation online.
Increase your awareness of all of the major risks that youth face — and boost your ability and confidence to support your children and grandchildren.
Presented in partnership with UBC Faculty of Arts and UBC Faculty of Education.
- Carol Todd, BEd’84 (she/her) – Founder of Amanda Todd Legacy Society and Educator, SD43 Coquitlam BC
- Dr. Sameer Hinduja (he/him) – Professor, School of Criminology and Criminal Justice, Florida Atlantic University, Co-Director, Cyberbullying Research Center, and Faculty Associate, Berkman Klein Center, Harvard University
RESOURCES SHARED BY SPEAKERS
- Parent Handout – Digital Safety and Awareness PDF
- Resources for Online Safety and Digital Wellness PDF
- Download this set of PDFs containing tips for parents on cyber bullying and more
Recorded February 15, 2023.